- Ensure that you fill dishwashers and washing machines before you run a wash and make sure you use an Eco setting if possible.
- Don’t leave taps running while you do the washing up. Instead fill a sink and try to only rinse utensils in cold water.
- Don’t leave taps running in the bathroom either. Remember to turn of the tap while you clean your teeth and use cold water whenever possible.
- Use your hot water storage cylinder thermostat wisely. If you have a water cylinder with a thermostat, keep it set to around 60 degrees Celsius; a higher temperature is un-necessary for most homes.
- Don’t boil more water than you need. Kettles use lots of electricity so don’t fill your kettle right to the top unless you really need to.
- Repair a leaking or dripping tap as soon as possible so you don’t waste water.
- Shower whenever possible. Baths use more hot water and are far less efficient.
- Invest in a water-efficient shower head; you could save up to £65 on your gas bills and £95 on your water bills per year.
- Insulate your hot water cylinder; an insulating jacket costs as little as £15 and could save you up to £115 on your gas bill each year.
Water-effcient shower heads and hot water cylinder jackets are available here @ Wharf Plumbing